Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sun Shade

I am determined not to make this blog about bebe gear because frankly I try not to buy too much of it and I feel like I'm constantly surrounded by it anyways. Where my expertise lies after 14 months of being a mom is in the realm of strollers. In the past 14 months I have had 13 strollers, to me they are kind of like handbags. Go ahead, judge me - I know that it's ridiculous and I have taken a lot of flack about it from friends, family, store owners and complete strangers. The only thing I can say in my defence is that thanks to some very strategic purchases, we are at break-even position in the stroller game.

I absolutely cannot seem to make up my mind. It doesn't help either that we live in a neighbourhood where I look at strollers all the time and we walk everywhere so I place a very high premium on my strollers.

Here's the list of what we've had:

  1. Bugaboo Bee, black {sold before he was born}
  2. Bugaboo Frog, navy {sold when he was 5 months old, but it is my sentimental favourite, it's an excellent stroller that I would recommend again and again}
  3. Chariot Cheetah, yellow {sold within 1 month of getting}
  4. Phil and Teds sport, black {sold within 1 month}
  5. Uppababy Vista, black {sold within 1 month of getting}
  6. Peg Perego Si {sold}
  7. BOB Revolution 12" Alumninum, orange {SOLD immediately - hated the small wheels}
  8. Baby Jogger City Mini {sold}
  9. Phil and Teds E3 {sold}
  10. Chariot Cougar SX {sold}

We currently have:


  1. Bumbleride Queen B - our go everywhere stroller, tons of room and very comfy
  2. BOB Revolution 16" jogger in Navy - for running and wonky terrain
  3. Uppababy G LUXE in black - for travel, the bus, crowded urban settings

I am currently coveting the Stokke Xplory and the Baby Jogger City Select with its 20 combinations, but I have promised LB that I will not buy another stroller until we have another bebe. However, I have made that promise several times already.

I have learned the following things about strollers and how I use them:


  1. The bebe has to be able to face me at all times
  2. The bebe has to be able to lay flat - I'm not a big fan of the carseat attachment, it has its purposes but I can't stand the thought of the wee baby compressed in there all the time.
  3. There has to be a monster sunshade. I have been able to find a sunscreen that I like for bebes, but I still would rather keep them covered up when possible.
  4. It has to have a big underbasket. The Vista has the best one I've come across so far.
  5. It has to be a one-step fold.

I have just discovered this add-on sunshade at Amazon, which would have been great to know about sooner - it might have made the Phil and Teds more appealing to me, because frankly guys, your sunshade is a total joke. It's an ad for skin cancer.

No comments: