Friday, April 24, 2009

Nursery

I've refrained from posting a ton of kid's stuff over the past 38 1/2 weeks, but I thought that I'd show you a few shots of my new office, where I'll be spending a lot of my time over the next while... I love this room so much for a few reasons - it's such a personal space, we've managed to incorporate a lot of things from our respective childhoods here that have a lot more meaning than things we could find in the stores, it's exactly how I pictured it looking, whether we had a boy or a girl, and we did the whole thing for very little money... the only new things purchased were the crib and mattress, and the Eames rocker and Tintin poster - everything else was either found in parents' basements or given to us by our overwhelmingly generous family and friends.

My mom and I took basic white curtains from IKEA that I've had for years and just added the striped fabric to the edges. We also made curtain ties, a pillow and the crib skirt from the same fabric. You can also see the fabulous Orla diaper bag Liam and Shannon bought me.


We caved and bought a knock-off Eames rocker, I've always loved them and this way we can put it in the living room when we're no longer using it here. I painted the walls a very soft beigey-yellow last year and decided to keep it, an easy and neutral base for the orange, yellow and turquoise colour scheme.


This wall is my favourite thing in the nursery - it's made up of things that Liam and I had in our rooms as kids, few cross-stitches that my mother in law made, as well as a few thrift acquisitions and the kitty from Laurin. The clown in the middle hung over our change tables when we were kids and held diaper pins...


We didn't want to lose the bed from the previous guest room, so we elected to make it work. I think that it will come in handy for naps for me. The crib is from IKEA and the quilt was bought for me as a child and used by both Liam and I. The bedspread is a vintage yellow chenille, and the afghan was made by my fabulous aunt Linda. Most of the toys on the shelf are toys we had as kids...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaili - the nursery is absolutely perfect. Good luck on Saturday - we're thinking about you. If you need anything give us a call. We can't wait to see you and meet Milo.

Hugs!
Laurin

~e said...

The nursery is so beautiful!! I love love love the cross stitch - so great!

Good luck on Saturday darling! Can't wait to meet the wee one!!

loves,
~e