Friday, December 05, 2008

Karim Rashid

I have very mixed feelings about this man. Being a fellow Carleton graduate, I want to sing his praises and encourage his innovative appraoch to design. Given that my lil' bro did the same program as him and is working as an industrial designer, I want to be able to hold Karim Rashid's name up as a stellar example of the quality of work coming out of that school.

However, I have a mostly hate-love relationship with his work. The pink umbra chairs, the pink molded plastic love chairs for veuve cliquot, his excessive use of petroleum-based plastics in a time where a search for alternatives would be more appropriate, you get the idea... When AT featured his pad last week, I had to email lil bro and point out the craziness. I don't even know where to rest my eyes. I have a feeling that madness would set in if I had to stare at these photos for awhile, let alone even step foot in there. It's like the Jetsons brought to life, but not in a completely good way...



I will, however, say that this desk completely rocks. I don't love the design, but I love the fact that it hides the desk clutter. Note the silver umbra "Garbino" trash can, one of his early iconic designs.

2 comments:

Daphna said...

Apparently this answers the question "How self-referential can one man's house be?"

La Belette Rouge said...

This is not my design cup of tea. It is too demanding for my taste. I am not sure what I mean about that---but that is the word that came up when I looked at his work.