Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Gum Thief

I am a huge Douglas Coupland fan. I've read all of his books, gone to all of his Ottawa readings, Microserfs is by far my favourite, but they all have a special place in my heart. Douglas Coupland even ended up playing a role in an ongoing fight between LB, Liam, Daphna, Adam and I about the spelling and etymology of "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots"...

I started the Gum Thief yesterday, and I'm almost finished. WOW. I can't say enough good stuff. Maybe I'm just at a point in my life where I'm highly receptive to this work, but it is striking chords with me in a way that no Coupland novel has done in a while...

2 comments:

tara said...

I just picked this up despite putting myself on a "no new books until we read all the ones we have" ban in the new year. Glad to hear it's good! Maybe I'll hurry up and finish the book I'm currently reading and push this one ahead in the line!

La Belette Rouge said...

The only time I ever wrote a letter to an author was to Douglas Coupland after I read a harsh review that he suffered. I tried to cheer him up. I am sure he never read it.