Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Holiday Movie Fun

Thanks to Shannon for reminding me with this fabulous Nightmare Before Christmas pic. I keep wanting to have a holiday movie night and keep forgetting. I am hosting a big turkey dinner on Friday night and am contemplating running Christmas movies on mute in the background, kind of like that ubiquitous burning log DVD...

My favourite holiday movies are, in no particular order:

  • The Nightmare Before Christmas - it's lovely, it's beautiful, it's unconventional, and it conveys the true simple pleasures of the holiday. The music, the characters, the stop-motion animation, I have nothing bad to say about this. It's also good to watch on both Hallowe'en and Christmas, essentially halving the purchase price since it's a two for one.
  • Elf, starring Will Ferrell- We watched this on Sunday night and were really just happy while doing so. It's a cheerful movie, very silly, the jokes are pretty fantastic...It's actually the movie that made me not hate Will Ferrell. "So, great news. I saw a dog today" is a line that comes out all of the time at family dinners and gatherings. There are so many quotable lines that you can't stop laughing. The only thing that I don't like is the ending...too corny.
  • Bad Santa, starring Billy Bob Thornton - it's crass, it's crude, it's rude, but it's hilarious and also leaves with hope. When he fixes Thurman's advent calendar "It's candy corn. Well, they can't all be winners, kid."; when he fixes dinner for the "I said that it was LIKE a tostada"; when he first takes Thurman home, "Is granny spry?", this movie is actually very uplifting at its core, but in a fabulously dark and cynical way.
  • The Muppets Christmas Carol. My brother Liam and I were sent to the movies to see this when it first came out, in December of 1992. I was stuck babysitting, and we were just basically being chased out of the house. But we had a great time and we still both share it as a favourite. When Scrooge threatens to fire the rats because they ask for more coal for the fire and the next scene is them, dressed in Hawaiian gear, yelling "Heat Wave! This is my island in the sun", or when they sing the opening song and the mice in the little cranny chime in with "no cheeses for us meeces", it's just lovely and cute and all of your favourite muppets make an appearance.

Other personal classics include: Scrooged, the Rudolph that's on tv with the terrible animation, Charlie Brown, and A Christmas Story {the leg lamp!}. I'm not a big fan of the traditional movies, they never did much for me.

45

1 comment:

tara said...

Fragile! That means it's from Italy!!