Monday, December 17, 2007

The Big Rock and Roll Swindle

I just finished reading Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Lustre, by Dana Thomas, her examination of the luxury "industry" and how/why they make us want more and more stuff all the time. Why? To make money of course. The how is much more interesting. I'm a middle market consumer, and I've played right into their hands, consuming as many luxury handbags, cosmetics, perfumes, shoes and sunglasses as can be permitted under my budget. In the past, I've even been known to buy when there was no money to back it up. I'm a sucker for purses, I used to love to buy expensive bags, it would be such a high. But, like any junkie, the thrill went away, and I found myself buying more and more, and increasingly expensive in order to satisfy the urge. Now, they just don't do it for me the same way. I look and I still find them adorable and beautiful but I can't be tempted to throw down the plastic in the same way. I've saturated my own personal market, I suppose. I highly recommend this book, it's a fascinating read. I couldn't put it down, reading it on the bus while wearing my Prada boots and carrying my Jimmy Choo bag. I'm aware of the irony.

On that note, the very next day, the handle of my Jimmy Choo BROKE. This should never happen on a $1500 bag. NEVER EVER NEVER. I was crushed. Luckily, my shoe guy was able to fix it, but that's not the point. It should be built to last. Which, as Dana Thomas points out, only a few of the luxury brands strive for anymore. The rest just want to be the it bag of the season, rake in the $$$, and start over again. Hmmmm....

No comments: