Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Uniform: Conflicted

I'm a girl who likes to change her mind a lot, and that's my prerogative, right? We all have that choice, that's part of the fun of being a woman. However, I also sometimes like to imagine myself as that incredibly chic French woman who has her 'uniform' and never deviates from it and always looks incredible. {I also imagine that woman would likely not post pictures of herself in a cowgirl costume} In an effort to stick to our pre-house budget and make better use of my existing wardrobe, I've been working on a bit of a uniform of my own.

For work: I generally wear fun shoes, a skirt, a fitted top, and a blazer. The other variation on this outfit is a full skirt with a turtleneck, or a dress. I am most comfortable this way and I can get ready in 5 seconds flat.

For weekends: I'm a very simple girl - either jeans or a jean skirt, Uggs or flats, v-neck sweaters and scarves to dress it up a bit. Clearly when we go up I'll ramp it up as required/if I feel like it, but this outfit gets me through a lot of different activities and can handle those days when I'm gone from 8am until 2am...

Outerwear: Now this is where I'm having troubles...I have developed a default uniform of black trenchcoat, black or brown flats, grey or brown pashmina (as scarf), and black or gloves. It's comfortable, appropriate in all situations, but it feels pretty blah...I need to introduce a colour here!

Bag: This is where I am most conflicted. Because I work out every morning, I have a monogrammed LL Bean Boat and Tote bag with my workout gear, and then a black kate spade Sloan Wellesley tote with a leopard scarf tied to the strap to dress it up a bit. But I love to switch my bags constantly, and have the collection of bags to support this habit. So I struggle...

What do you do? Do you streamline your bags so that you only have a couple to choose from? I've been packing boxes and I already have two big legal-sized paper boxes filled to the brim with bags big and small...

No comments: