Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's not rocket science, but it's nice to feel validated

I came across this New York Times Article while checking out Kristin van Ogtrop's (Real Simple Editor) new blog, Adventures in Chaos. It's cute by the way, stop by if you have some time. Anyways, the gist of the article is that men are now happier than women, and the main reason is that women have waaaaaay more to do than their male counterparts. I am not talking about individual men, I am lucky to have a husband like LB, and I know that many of you also have faaabulous partners as well. I am talking about the part of me that worries about the acquisition of birthday cards and gifts, who plans the potluck dinners with her friends that the guys attend, who worries about holiday cards and decorations, who plans all of the trips, the sightseeing, the luggage, who worries about almost everything, and who plans, well...everything.

In 1970, women were happier than men. According to the author, this was due to the fact that they had far less to do than we do today. And while I would give up my right hand before giving up all of the rights and freedoms that women fought for and won since them, sometimes I would like to be able to have a single to do list. Right now I have a work list, 2 volunteer organization lists, a house list, a chrismukkah list, a massive list of address changes to be done, a budget and cash flow list, etc... and while you might suggest that I burn my lists, I don't think that is the answer. I have the lists because I have a lot of responsibilities, some of which I've taken on out of choice (i.e. volunteering, planning the house), some out of necessity (work seems pretty necessary for everything else to happen), some I've taken on because if I don't think of x, then nobody else will.

Basically, the author argues that “women now have a much longer to-do list than they once did…. They can’t possibly get it all done, and many end up feeling as if they are somehow falling short.” And how! And the emotional factor too! Even if I do get it all done, then I will likely still be up half the night worrying about whether I've done it properly or not, or if I offended someone in the process...

Sorry to end the day on a down note. I'm going home, where I will eat candy and not worry about a thing, and I advise you all to do the same every once in a while...

No comments: